About Me
- Joni Gail A. Morales
- Warrior of Light Online When he learns to handle his sword, he discovers that his equipment has to be complete – and that includes armor. He goes out to look for armor and hears what some vendors propose to him. "Wear the breast-plate of solitude," says one. "Wear the shield of cynicism," answers another. "The best armor is not to get involved in anything," suggests a third. The warrior, however, does not listen to them. He goes serenely to his sacred place and dons the indestructible cloak of faith. Faith softens all blows. Faith changes poison into crystal-clear water. His angel whispers to him: "Yield everything." The warrior kneels down and offers his victories to God.
I saw this post on the meaning of the song... (see post below)...
ReplyDeleteI feel it has bearing somehow. Probably Bono was hooked on bearing his soul to the public, which does not lend a lot to the group's image. So he's probably talking to himself here, referring to the emotional self/self who seeks God as a lady. Nevertheless, I feel it is most profound to the person who wrote it. I'm thankful I'm given a glimpse of understanding with the song's beautiful/passionate melody.
--------------
osubuckeye420
06-07-2002
Rated 0 I never thought of the overcoming drug addication, but it makes so much sense when you look at the words... wow... I've overcome drug addiction myself and some of the words are so familiar "stone set in your eyes/thorn twist in your side"... I mean sometimes you just wanna go back to using so bad, it really feels like there's a thorn twisting in your side... such a powerful song.
Plus the whole through the storm we reach the shore, you give it all but I still want more... Once you make the committment to stop you think that your life is gonna magically be better once your over the addiction, but that is not always the case. I still think sometimes slip and think about how great it would be to do another line or take another hit, I tell myself that I'm in a better situiation now, but when times get really down it's hard to believe that sometimes...
I also think that the "you" Bono is talking about is God. the whole, "and you give yourself away" thing is like when you turn on the news and hear some heartwarming story or you go to the movies and see the pool-boy turned multi-million dollar star, and then you just think man, why do you give him so much and I get so little when I'm putting forth this monumental effort to quit something that is killing me.
I dunno, I always thought it was about a girl, but after looking at the God and drug comments I really think that is what Bono was trying to convey in this song. Oh well, regardless of the meaning it's one of my favorites of all time. Thanks for taking the time to read this.